I have to say day 3 is much the same as day 2 minor headache that dissipates over the afternoon and a lingering for carbs persists as I try to divert my attention on things I can have!
One thing I did notice today as I attempted to eat out for the first time is that it is really difficult buying lunch without carbohydrates of some sort. You are hit with carbs with each menu item from sandwiches, focaccias, pannis, toasted pides to baked spuds, grain based salads, sushi, burgers and poached eggs on toast. Even those sneaky little fritters are made with bread crumbs or flour. So what do I order a lamb slider and it comes out .. two little delicate buns. I completely forgot a slider is a mini hamburger - Doh!. I had to palm the buns off to my partner who was waiting gleefully.
EATING OUT OPTIONS
So what are your options when eating out? Here are my suggestions
- Salads without grains, eg chicken, avo and salad, caesar salad, watch out for sugary dressings
- Poached eggs on spinach, with mushrooms and avocado or feta
- Veggie sticks and dips
- Antipasti platter minus the bread and crackers eg olives, prosciutto, selection of cheeses, pickles
- Smoothie: green smoothie made with almond milk, yoghurt and nuts but no fruit
- Grilled fish on steamed veggies or meat and veg/salad
- Soups minus the bread and noodles but you'll need to avoid potato n leek and sweet potato based soups
- Bunless burger with extra salad
So here is Day 3's food intake . . .
- Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with bacon, tomato, spring onion and organic cheddar
- Snack: 2 tbs full-fat yoghurt, coconut flakes, tsp each of pepitas of ground flaxseed
- Lunch: x2 lamb sliders (minus the bun) with shaved beetroot relish, lettuce and haloumi cheese
- Snack: hot chocolate made with raw cacao, tbs each of butter and coconut oil
- Dinner: 1/2 a stuffed red cap, filled with sauteed eggplant, garlic, chilli and topped with fetta, served on sauteed silverbeet
- Beverages: water x1L, green tea x1, rooibos tea x2, camomile tea x1
Would love to hear your eating out tips
Stay warm Chelsea xx